Rex in the Morning Sun

Early mornings are never my best friend, not unless my real best friend, large coffee is up to salute the rising sun is with me. With the hour time change last weekend, I expected marvelous bright mornings to whistle my way to work, instead it’s just another grey dreary sky to kick start the day. The saving grace after mucking out is always the prospect to sit on some beautiful horses.
These last few weeks we’ve been working on letting them down after a hectic show season. It’s refreshing to be able to work all the boys and not have to push to be ready for shows each weekend. Each horse has so much to teach me and even though they all have their own foibles the training can be similarly gratifying. Working on stretching, allowing muscles to work and get stronger but still be able to loosen and ease out any kinks from the work. Sessions can now be extended but with more breaks and less emphasis put on actual test movements but patiently taking the time to really feel every step.
With each horse I’ve made a point of closing my eyes in the walk and just asking myself what can I feel, what is my horse asking of me, where he needs support and how can I guide him best. Rex, my main horse is always a pleasure to exercise but recently he’s taking huge steps forward. With the new saddle, the help of a great farrier and massage therapist the final work is all down to me and it’s perfect not to have any excuses. I always remember an old trainer of mine telling me the hard work always outs in the end, those who makes excuses now on the grey rainy days will be the same ones making excuses on competition day. Well, at nationals this year I made far too made excuses, it’s time to get down to work and show how fantastic this horse is.

It’s time to send my show jacket off to the dry cleaners, put my show boots away and just spend some quality time with each horse.

Comments

Popular Posts