Advanced Avoidance


Theory Talk
It took a mere two minutes with Dr Rosanna Walters-Symons, sports psychologist to identify my default setting for competition. I'm an avoider, if I can't make it perfect I'd rather not do it at all. No matter how often I help coach athletes, the lessons sink in slower at home. In moments of stress I can often lack the courage to really go for it. That quest for perfection, it's so easy to "get stuck in beauty" that it's easier not to step forward at all. Sitting down for a one on one session with a sports psychologist was the perfect opportunity for me to quantify things, to take stock without the interference of life. Once a thought leaves the mouth its much easier to see it in all its reality and whether it's a helpful one. Clearly it's not, so we set about a list of things to do to make sure I can't give into that default setting. One of those is checking in with my support crew who know when and if I need a kick in the ass. Somethings happening as I've managed more shows this season than the last two combined. 


Comments

Popular Posts