Kick On and Let Go


It’s an easy philosophy isn’t it! I’m not sure its one I’ve been able to live by, Maybe there was a time where I did but I doubt it. Bumping into past trainers removes any of that doubt. Overcautious and overthinking in everything is the consensus. Somewhere over the years I’ve managed to turn that into a skill and use it not just in my favor but for clients too.Thoughtful considered riding is something I think we need to see more.  But I’m can’t say for sure that I’ve ever taken the notion head on. Watching too many horses to count being trained mindlessly has persuaded me to stay in the zone of overthinking and under achieving at least in a way that meant less chance of screwing up another innocent horse. Pondering for the longest time the prospect of a young horse made me think of how may so called projects have been bought and had their bodies and spirits smushed into a riders ego or fears and made me hesitant. 



Then enters new horse and I think I’ve learned enough to have a proper go of it, not letting go of the overthinking but also embracing the kick on and let go. If the right horse finds us, this ones here for a reason. An enormous five year old that has more power and potential than any other horse I’ve owned, so I made myself and him a deal. I have agreed to push my training in the other direction while using what skills I have but with as much support as I can offer myself and my horse. I preface each lesson week with “I might not like it” but I will be obedient and do it. The fear of fucking up may be there but I’ve vowed not to give into it. So far it’s not become instinctual but my reactionary riding is becoming less. Now I’m also learning to breathe!

Comments

Popular Posts