How I Find Positivity in Horse Training

When you examine how well you’re doing on the training scale it can all become damning and overly critical, particularly relevant when most of us already have a bias towards "we're doing it wrong” or “not doing it well enough” Those two things often mean we get frustrated and don't want to have to persist following a system. If it's entirely leaving us feel less than, it's too easy to find reasons to give up and try find things more comfort making. If we actually look at the detail instead of the overarching ideas we begin to see much more of an open road ahead when it comes to applying it to our horses. For me the fact that this perfect thing is unachievable or that the journey for perfection is never ending doesn’t make me feel worse. I can’t be falling short if the expectation is progress toward perfect and not be perfect. Constantly I’m reminded of my favourite phrase, Don’t get stuck in beauty.


If I acknowledge that I never have to attain perfection it allows me to move at my own speed, take the time to analyze whether my horse is receiving it at my speed or if that needs to be adapting. There's no timeline or deadline, when I look at the detail of the scales of training it doesn't make me think that a horse of the age or level must match the exact step of the training scale, It makes me think that I have complete freedom to find what this particular horse needs to fully understand a concept. 
So the openness and freedom is in the understanding of detail, the overarching idea of a horse in rhythm and balance actually when we look at the detail lets my horse take his time figuring out what I need when I ask, especially when you include the complication of a rider on board. I’m more free to feel positive because there's only guidelines which are supporting rather than exacting. These supports are there within the detail to bump you back on track. Reminders that it’s about the horse understanding of the work not a blueprint.  


Being able to find this while stuck in the emotion of riding takes such a weight off my shoulders and reassures me that often good enough is good enough. This has been such a journey for me as a rider, one that’s been emboldened by working with riders that for one reason or another have been closed down to being positive but have persisted at pushing ahead, both clients and teachers.
By being able to find positive in the detail I don’t feel the need to manufacture a false sense of fun. Stayed ahead of what’s helpful for my horse rather than what’s fun for me. Anyone who has met me knows I might be funny, funny weird but I don’t like fun. I especially don’t like fun at the expense of my horse. That’s an unpopular opinion, having fun while training your horse isn’t the same as having fun despite your horse. It might be more honest sometimes to recognize the latter so we’re quicker not to leave a legacy of bad feeling in your horse. 

Comments

Popular Posts